OverviewThe City of Charleston has recently passed an ordinance to regulate short term rentals STRs in all areas of the city, which went into effect on July 10th, 2018.
To qualify for legal short term renting under this new ordinance, the residential property must:
1. Serve as the owner’s full time primary residence, as verified by receiving the County’s 4% tax exemption for owner-occupied property.
- While the host does not have to be present for the complete duration of their guests’ stay, they must be “generally available” and sleep overnight at the property whenever it is being rented.
3. Contain a third parking space for the additional STR use. If the property contains multiple Dwelling Units, each must have adequate legal parking in addition to the one required STR space.
In order to begin listing a qualifying residential unit, you must:
1. Submit an application online or at the City of Charleston Permit Center located on the 1st floor of the Gaillard Center at 2 George St. Applications must include:
- Floor plans drawn to scale of the habitable structures on the property that clearly designate all rooms to be used by STR guests, and the specific room or rooms to be used by guests for sleeping. Floor plans are not required to be drawn by a design professional.
- A site plan of the lot showing the location of the proposed Residential STR unit and the required off-street parking spaces and driveways
- Documents showing the address of the property being applied for that prove the primary residence and 4% tax status including but not limited to: The applicant’s drivers’ license or state-issued ID, applicant’s voter registration card, a letter from the County auditor or assessor attesting to the 4% tax status of the property
- All business licenses must be renewed 1 year from the original issuance date
- Permit numbers must be included in any/all online advertisements
^Open this link for more information and to apply for a permit
DO YOU NEED THE FULL SHORT TERM RENTAL ORDINANCE?
SEND US A MESSAGE THROUGH OUR "CONTACT US" PAGE AND WE’LL SEND IT OVER!